After a long hard day at work and doing all your errands after work, you would think it would be quite easy to fall into bed and head straight to dreamland. However, sometimes sleep just doesn’t come easily. It can be difficult to turn off your brain, so to speak, so you can relax and fall asleep.
Here are a few tips you can try to help you meet up with Mr. Sandman sooner rather than later:
- Turn off all your electronics
- Take a 20 minute hot soak in the shower or tub
- Set the room temperature to 65 degrees or lower
- Make your room as dark as possible, closing all blinds, curtains, turning off night lights, etc.
- Read one of your favorite books just before bed. (Hint: avoid horror or action books as these may keep you awake even longer!)
- Clear your mind by writing all your thoughts of the day in a journal
- Have a warm drink such as warm milk with honey, chamomile or peppermint tea, but avoid caffeinated drinks
All of these tips are designed to help you relax, clear your mind and get comfortable so that you can fall asleep faster. Try them and you might be pleasantly surprised with the results, not to mention being better rested.